Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Best Friends...

Twenty years ago I met my best friend! It was our first day of Freshman year in high school, Sara had just moved here from Hibbing and I had just finished my education at a small private school. I remember being scared to death, starting at such a huge high school with nearly 900 kids in my class was a far cry from the small class of 28 kids I was used to. Sara and I met and I remember thinking she was very sweet, I didn't realize she had just moved here from a small town...she was persistent about us getting together outside of school and I sort of resisted. As silly as it sounds I was shy and worried about spending time with someone new that I didn't even know. Little did I know that 20 years later she would be my BEST friend! We ended up being best pals, I spent most of my time with her and we made it through high school with an amazing friendship to boot!
Sara moved to Arizona and it was one of the saddest and proud days of my life. She was moving out into the unknown and finding her place in life, I missed her like crazy but not one year has gone by that we haven't made an effort to see each other at least once or twice a year. We talk on the phone all the time and our friendship is very strong despite the fact that we rarely see each other in person.
Our conversations have evolved from boys, make-up, parties, weekend plans, etc. to diapers, teething, sleepless nights and wondering if our kids will always be picky eaters. She has always been there to support me and I've done the same for her. Our lives have changed so much over the last 5 years and I love that we can share our ups and downs without judgement...now that's a true friend! I miss her greatly but she's in town visiting her parents in Hibbing this week. We were able to meet halfway today for brunch and great conversation. I probably would have cried like a baby when we said good-bye, but she'll be back at the end of October for a "girls weekend" (thanks to my amazing husband for that). We sat and talked for 2 1/2 hours then talked for another hour on the way home while we were driving in our cars (hers to Hibbing and mine to Isle to pick up Paige...thanks to Nana for watching Paige.) It was a great day, I miss her already!

No comments:

Post a Comment